Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of UnScape

bitch ass
    Blog Entries

Default The State of UnScape

I wanted to come forward and address the current state of things, mainly regarding our community here.

UnScape has been around for a very long time now, we will be 7 years old this December. This is grandfather age when you compare it to most other private server communities.

So with that in mind, it needs to be understood that UnScape will not be going anywhere anytime soon. The server will continue to remain online and this community is always going to be around. However, this community is a give and take relationship, and the behavior around here has been unacceptable. There is constant fighting, flaming, spam, and so much abuse is being thrown around between players that something has to be done. I take this personally because UnScape has been a big part of me for nearly the last decade, and not me or anyone else wants to see the community this way.

This is not a call to Ben to ask him to invest more time into development, the speed of development here at UnScape has always been the same. UnScape is not one of these servers like Soulsplit which are only in place as a method of business, those developers over there are out to take money from it's community. We are a much more personal and try to be involved with our community, we are all about the experience and relationships you can make here - like an online game should be. Having said that, you all need to keep in mind that Ben is our only developer he is just a college student, and even though he is fantastic at what he does, he can't pour all of his free time into UnScape, that is simply asking too much. The development of UnScape is the hobby, but the community and the game itself are something else, that's where we spend our time together. Why would anyone want to continue development on a community that consists of a bunch of childish bickering name-calling kids? Why put in the effort just to temporarily satisfy a bunch of people who are going to turn this place into a battleground as soon as things begin to lose a little bit of momentum? I don't see the point. As I said, this community is give and take. The administrators and moderators of UnScape are here to help weed out the individuals who reflect a negative image on our community, but it's you, the players and those who surf these forums that are the foundation of this relationship.

So here are some things to keep in mind, things that you should do to help our community:

1. Before you post, read what you have typed. Is it constructive? Is is legible? Does it provide anything to the topic/conversation at hand? If not, you probably shouldn't post it. Never post anything if it includes an insult directed at another player and don't stray away from the point being made in the OP of the thread. If you see someone being violent on these forums, you can click the Report button at the bottom of that post and the staff will deal with the situation. Do not call attention to someone who is breaking this rule, just report them. I am going to take it upon myself to be very strict when it comes to moderating these forums.

2. If you have an idea and there is something you'd like to see added to the game or any change in particular, you can post a thread about it in the Suggestions subforum. (Click here) Suggestions are evaluated, if there is something the community would benefit from then there is a good chance it might be added.

3. Check the forums regularly and do what you can to partake in conversation. The forums are in many way the backbone of our game, and there is a lot that goes on here that you don't see in-game. This is where you will find information on all of our contests and information on the latest updates.

4. I am still a firm believer that voting for the game will help in the long run. More votes means more visibility on these other topsites which helps gives us more traffic. For this reason I have added a new 'Vote For UnScape' tab to the forum's navbar to replace the notice that we recently removed from the website and shoutbox. Voting at least once a day can help more than you may think!

Also, I am going to make it a personal chore to remove any drug-related material from the forums. I fully support the freedom to use and do whatever you want to with your body, but discussing it and posting big flashy pictures of it is a turn off to a lot of people, so to make the forums more welcoming for everyone, this needs to be something we put a stop to. If you have a lot of references to marijuana in your avatars or signatures then you can expect to be contacted by me soon with a request to remove the offensive material asap. Failure to comply will result in a temporary ban. Feel free to continue drug-related discussion in-game.

So please take what you have read here as a guideline, something to build your behavior on in the time to come. We're all friends here, and we can all get along, it just involves a little cooperation and decency. I look forward to playing with you guys again soon.
    Last edited by Ripvayne; 3 June 2014 at 06:45 PM.

Very well said Zach. I hope that every actually takes the time to read this as it's a much needed reminder to certain community members.

I agree on how the community has been recently, hopefully everyone can come together as friends and help get our population up again.
    I feel if we can get atleast 2-3 on 24/7 new players would definitely stick around more often.

Blog Entries

As usual well said zach. It's been quite crazy lately and I'll take some of the blame for that. I have been very pre occupied this week irl and my nerves have been shot, so I have been quite short with some of you. However the behavior of many members of the community has been pretty ridiculous both in game and on the forums lately. I hope this post will help clear things up so that we can all be friends again, and I promise to do better myself in the future.

Follow me on

^^Click here^^

Ex-Moderator
    :O
    Blog Entries

we should start a call of duty modern warfare server and play that instead
    the wolf in sheeps skin.

Blog Entries

Zach, I've been here for a long time, and been here through thick and thin.

But I think that UnScape's days are now numbered. You aren't going to get any new members because the community, which is the main selling point of UnScape, (Because RSPSs are a dime a dozen trade) is at it's core, diseased.

The mods argue with churlish members instead of just punishing them (Not right away, at least). No one really respects the Mods right now, and the Admins are not online even close to as much as the mods.

The main active people on the forums are childish and insubordinate, and as long as they are on the front page in the latest posts section, they are representing UnScape.

And to be honest, it's a pretty shitty representation right now. I looked through it all, and it's bickering, bullshit, cock-measuring, and this post.

For fuck's sake, 2 of the posts feature a banned user as the main contributor, arguing with a mod in one of them.

We may have ~22,000 members, but maybe 2 dozen are active, and maybe not even that many will vote. In-Game is usually dead, making any multiplayer activities either impossible or quickly boring.

TL;DR:
    I just think that this is a slump you don't recover from. The old community is dead, and the old admins remain. The new community is childish. The game is stagnant, and is nothing you couldn't find elsewhere. There are usually very few players on.

I don't think a heightened resolve and stricter rules will help. I think UnScape's time has finally come.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Faithbludude View Post
    For some reason I quit, yet I still check the forums from my phone almost daily. Weird how that works.
    Same lol... been visiting quite often lately.
    Digirular1 - Unscape Veteran February 23rd 2008 ( That's More Than 6 Years)

Please Like The Survival Game on Facebook =D. Facebook.com/TheSurvivalGame

Respected Member
    Blog Entries

I haven't played the game actively in close to two years, but I still check the forums because the community was amazing previously. I have no idea what happened, and its current state is very sad.

Hope it gets better, and thanks for posting this, Zach.

I agree with you to a point Zelgius. Last year a bunch of players would come to UnScape but never stay. But the few that stayed were loyal, and generally had good personalities. Thus creating a great tight-knit community that everyone seemed to enjoy.

The key point I'm trying to make is that even though Ben might have been away, people still posted on the forums because of the community. And when Ben would return and put some updates out we would start playing in-game again.

Now, as previously said, the community has greatly gone downhill. If the community is bad and no one plays in-game, what's the point? To solve this, I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelgius
    A heightened resolve and stricter rules
    can help this. I disagree with the fact that we can't recover from this, because I know it's possible. This job isn't solely for the staff members like some of you have said. We all need to work together if we want to bring the community back up. Whether it's reporting posts on the forums or in-game, or voting even though there aren't any rewards, following the rules, etc, etc.

If you want to see UnScape's community back where it was, make sure you're doing your part and following everything Zach said in this thread. Take thought before you act and remember that something you do could determine whether a player stays or leaves. This way we can retain at least a small amount of players that we receive, or at the least stop more players from quitting.

Like I've said many times before, I'm not going to give up on UnScape. I hope you feel the same way.
    Last edited by Huku7; 3 June 2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: --

UnScape Original
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Faithbludude View Post
    For some reason I quit, yet I still check the forums from my phone almost daily. Weird how that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digirular1 View Post
    Same lol... been visiting quite often lately.
    Same here. Though not daily because I, too, have a PhD to work on.

Summer is coming, though, and I will have a lot more spare time (got all my EC's - that is, European Credits used for studying credibility - this year so no delays). If Ben would only allow and enable me (and potentially some others) to, I could contribute in management/financials/development. Gotta stay updated with all the university knowledge anyway, might as well do it while contributing to a community I still love, just like many, many others still do.. A single reply from him would be enough.

On the feature topic - I actually do not fully agree with people saying UnScape needs a lot more content. I'll elaborate this later on.

Zach, I'll be helping you out to clean these forums whenever I can.
    Last edited by Mike; 3 June 2014 at 10:32 PM.